From Forbes Magazine, July 7, 2010
Have you hear about Think College Now?
Maybe you should… Here are the facts!
Think College Now is a public elementary school of 300 students in Oakland, California. The goal is to have all the students attend college.
THE BEST PART – Thinking College
- Hallways, notebooks and t-shirts bear emblems of various colleges
- Classes divided into groups named after Ivy League schools
- Signs that say “Am I making college-bound choices today?”
Numbers, Numbers, Numbers
- 95% qualify for subsidized lunches
- 60% speak English as a second language
- In the city of Oakland, only 68% of students graduate from high school
- In 2009, 66% of the students speak English at grade level, versus 10% in 2003.
- In 2009, 81% of the students are math proficient at grade level, versus 23% in 2003.
- Clear standards and ways to meet them
- Frequent testing, transparent results and quick intervention
- Active parents’ organization to support children